John Gandel AO awarded AC
June 13th, 2017
Congratulations to John Gandel AO - Chairman of Gandel Philanthropy and Philanthropy Australia Member - for being awarded the highest Queen's Birthday Honour, the Companion of the Order of Australia (AC). For eminent service to the community as a benefactor and supporter of a range of visual arts and cultural institutions, to youth education, medical and biotechnology innovation programs, to business, and to the advancement of philanthropic giving.
- Chairman, Gandel Philanthropy, current.
- Major Donor, National Gallery of Australia, 2010.
- Chairman, Board of Governors, Jewish Museum of Australia - Gandel Centre of Judaica, since 1983; Patron and Benefactor, since 1982.
- Life Governor, Alfred Health, since 2002; Member, Appeal Committee, Burns Unit, 1992; Chair, Alfred Hospital Cancer Centre; Benefactor, current.
- Foundation Member, Patrons of the Victorian Arts Centre, since 1991; Life Member, 2008. Member, Advance Council, The Global Foundation.
- Life Governor, Vision Australia Foundation, 2002.
- Life Governor, Melbourne Hebrew Congregation, 1999.
- Chairman, Gandel Group of Companies, since 1984.
- Founding Chairman, CFS Gandel Retail Trust, 1994-2006.
- Board Member, CSIRO, 1999-2002.
- Director, Priceline, 1982-1998.
- Member, World Business Council; World Presidents Organisation, and Chief Executives Organisation, since 1985.
Awards and recognition
- Co-Recipient, Victorian Premier's Award for Community Harmony, 2016. Co-Recipient, Research Australia's Great Australian Philanthropy Award, 2015. Honorary Degree, Monash University, 2013.
- Hall of Fame Inductee, Property Council of Australia, 2013.
- Honorary Doctorate of Philosophy, Tel Aviv University, 2006.
- Recipient, Centenary Medal, 2003.
Full list of AC recipients >
Full list of Queen's Birthday recipients >