Media and Communications Adviser
Sunday, 24 Sep 2023
The Australian Academy of Science was founded by Royal Charter in 1954 and annually admits Australia’s leading scientists to its Fellowship. The Academy is an independent non-profit organisation that recognises outstanding contributions to science and research, provides expert advice to government, contributes to the development of science policy, promotes science education and public understanding of science, and fosters international scientific relations. This position is part of a Secretariat who work as a team to support activities undertaken by the Academy.
- Free parking in the city
- Work in a beautiful heritage site and surrounds
- Up to 17% superannuation
- Options to salary sacrifice
- Flexible working hours
- Paid Christmas closedown
- Generous employee assistance program
- Professional development support
About the role
The Communications team is looking for an experienced and persuasive writer with a passion for science communication. The successful candidate will develop engaging content for the Academy’s key distribution channels including the mainstream media, social media, the Academy’s website and speeches for the Academy’s leaders.
Developing content to support the Academy’s strategic goals, this role will have a focus on writing and media.
We are looking for a self-starter who can hit the ground running and work collaboratively with the team as well as internal and external stakeholders. The role would include providing broader support to develop communications content as required.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Media Manager:
- Develop compelling communications content, including but not limited to media releases, opinion pieces, web content, social media posts and other content as required.
- Assist the Media Manager to pitch stories to media and respond to media enquiries.
- Deliver media monitoring and innovative media analytics to measure and report on the Academy’s impact in the media.
- Assist the Social Media Manager with drafting social media content, and social media scheduling, posting, moderation and analytics as required.
- Contribute to communication project planning and development across the Academy and assist with implementation and evaluation of communications activities.
- Provide additional communications support across the team as required.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media or journalism.
- Substantial demonstrated experience in a communications role.
- Training and/or experience in science research or science communication and knowledge of Australian media landscape desirable.
- Broad understanding of science concepts and science communication principles.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly develop effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to write compelling communications content with excellent plain language writing and editing skills, including a high attention to detail and house style.
- Experience in web publishing, Microsoft Office and SharePoint, databases and media monitoring software.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly understand new processes and systems.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- A commitment to workplace diversity, workplace participation, WHS (Work Health and Safety) and equity principles.
Further information on the position is available from Dan Wheelahan, Media Manager at [email protected]
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please apply including:
- your resume
- a cover letter summarising how you believe your skills and experience would be a good fit for the role (maximum two pages please).
Please apply via our HR Management System here.
Please note the Video Interview is OPTIONAL and will not be used for shortlisting purposes.
Applications close 11pm AEST Sunday 24 September 2023.