Impact Investing Hub and Philanthropy Australia present our first Impact Investing in Practice event for 2023, exploring how blended finance can be used by impact investors social enterprises and not-for-profits to unlock greater impact.
Blended finance refers to a combination of financing to meet the needs of for-purpose organisations – for example, part debt and part grants. It is a structuring approach that typically sees impact investors with different expectations coming together to provide capital to impact investing deals. It is often seen as the strategic use of finance and philanthropic funds to mobilise private capital flows, resulting in positive results for both investors and the investee.
This webinar will provide you with:
- An overview of blended finance, how it works and who’s typically involved;
- Case studies of blended finance in practice, including:
- Jigsaw Australia: with CEO and Founder Paul Brown; and
- Dismantle Inc: the story of Perth-based social enterprise Renew Property Maintenance with CEO Pat Ryan and Sophie Chamberlain from Spinifex Trust;
- How they have both raised blended finance to achieve their goals as they reflect on their impact investment journeys;
- How philanthropy can participate in blended transactions, including an explanation of how the PAF Guidelines enable Private Ancillary Funds to count the difference between ‘market rate’ returns and ‘concessionary’ returns towards their minimum granting requirements;
- How blended finance presents an opportunity to make the risk-return profile of impact deals more enticing to finance-first impact investors; and
- Information on where to find additional resources or support around blended finance structures and impact investing more generally.
You will come away with a better understanding of how blended finance helps to bridge the financing gap for greater social and environmental impact.
Jessica Mendoza-Roth | Founder & CEO at Social Impact Hub
Jessica is the Founder and CEO of the Social Impact Hub. The Social Impact Hub advises, educates, collaborates and mobilises capital for impact. Jessica is also a consultant to the impact investment sector, having served as the Impact Strategist for Blue River Group, an independent impact investment services firm, and opened the Sydney office of Impact Investment Group. Previously, Jessica was a Solicitor at King & Wood Mallesons in Sydney. She holds a B.A. and LL.B. (with First Class Honours) from UNSW and a LL.M. from Harvard Law School, where she was the recipient of the R.G. Menzies Scholarship to Harvard, and she studied social entrepreneurship, philanthropy and impact investing.
Andrew Tyndale | Professional Impact Network Member at Social Impact Hub & Chief Investments and Assets Officer at Wesley Mission
Andrew is an investment professional passionate about supporting the impact ecosystem, with over 35 years of investment banking and funds management experience. Since 2009, Andrew has been focused on supporting the social sector through Impact Property in areas such as affordable housing and aged care.
Highly skilled in investment readiness, business development, capital raising and strategic planning, Andrew also brings significant experience in social finance, fundraising and governance to the social sector. He has advised major foundations and governments on using investment capital to achieve greater outcomes and address challenging global problems. Andrew has held numerous commercial and not-for-profit board roles, as well as been extensively involved in international aid organisations.
Andrew holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) and is a Fulbright Professional Scholar.
Rob Haggett | Head of Mobilising Capital at Social Impact Hub
Rob Haggett is the Head of Mobilising Capital at the Social Impact Hub and leads Impact Investing Hub. He has worked on projects with Westpac Foundation, Paul Ramsay Foundation, MinterEllison and Impact Investing Australia as well as managing the NSW Department of Communities and Justice’s Social Sector Transformation Fund (SSTF). Rob previously worked in international development, specialising in responsible finance and measurement initiatives in Nepal, Indonesia and Cambodia as well as co-leading Deloitte’s Social Impact Consulting team in Australia. He has sat on a number of boards and advisory groups and was previously CEO of Pocket City Farms, a social enterprise focused on sustainability and regenerative agriculture.
The Impact Investing Hub is an initiative of the Social Impact Hub. The Impact Investing Hub supports the growth of the Australian impact investing community by providing an inclusive platform that educates, inspires and connects.
This event is subsidised by our Impact Investing Champions – the Snow Foundation, the Manos Foundation & the Yarranabbe Foundation. Please contact us at [email protected] if you’re keen to support the growth of the impact investing ecosystem.