Policy and advocacy
As the peak body for philanthropy, we actively undertake policy advocacy and work closely with government to support more and better giving in Australia.
Our policy advocacy aims include:
- encouraging and promoting giving in Australia
- developing community understanding of the role and impact of philanthropy in Australia
- increasing understanding within government of the economic, social and cultural significance of Australia’s not-for-profit sector
- working with government to enhance the policy framework for philanthropy and charities
- seeking policy solutions which are practical, future focused and sustainable.
For more information, see our Principles for our participation in Public Policy Matters.
See our Election Statement 2022.
Our work with government
We work with federal and state governments to develop their understanding of the philanthropic sector and to promote the development of effective policy frameworks.
We also actively engage in a range of policy consultation processes initiated by governments and parliaments. This involves:
- representing the not-for-profit sector
- making submissions
- participating in policy and regulatory forums
- collaborating with stakeholders within the not-for-profit sector and more broadly.
See our policy documents and submissions.
To find out more about our advocacy work, contact: